Ever double click a zip file and have it turn into a cpgz file? This is an uncommon problem, but it happen. As it happens the .zip file attempts to be unzipped, it then extracts into a .cpgz file, which then turns back into a .zip file when it is opened, and then turns into a .zip.cpgz file when opened, and loops over and over again.
- It’s a corrupted file, either during the download process or from original source.
- Incomplete download.
- Certain browsers incorrectly processing the file during or after the download.
Solutions to try:
- You could try downloading again or try downloading with a different browser or if possible from a different source.
- Attempt unzipping in the Terminal. In the command line type unzip leave a space and then drag the file into the terminal window and hit return. Doing so through the Terminal should power through and open it up.
- Even though this is the last option, I use it first every time for just about everything. Use The Unarchiver, it’s free and works great and just about anything you can through at it.